1. Pledged to support environmental Democratic candidates. We supported Alice White, for North Port City Commissioner both with donations (maximum allowable from the ECSCD) and with volunteers who phoned, texted, and waved signs. Alice won. Objective met.
2. Pledged to do quarterly beach/park clean-ups to raise awareness and increase member participation. The first event is planned for Shamrock Park(see photo), Venice in south county on March 27th, 2021. Objective completed.
3. Pledged to raise awareness of the caucus via member re-engagement, and recruitment of new members. The goal is 105 by the end of the year. Membership is currently @ 70 as of 3/24/2021, the end of the 1st quarter. We plan on using social media, past speaker events, clean-ups, and a timeline of caucus accomplishments to meet membership drive and raise awareness. This is in the planning stages. We will provide photos and video of the March 27, 2021 event to highlight activities on social media and to help expedite this initiative. Objective underway.
4. Pledged to do more as a caucus for the critical areas of water, land, and air quality. Met with area realtors and with local officials to make water quality a priority. Will speak about this at the meeting. Plan on doing more of that. Plan on having more speakers address these critical issues while increasing member awareness and participation. Objective is underway and ongoing.
5. Pledged to work on restoring habitat. Hi-Hat initiative. Waiting for input more input from the board. Sent the board the Sarasota County 2050 plan. The developers look to ask for variances. The project was pushed back in the Board of County Commissioners' agenda. Objective is in the planning stage.
We follow local environmental issues, educate the public and work toward solutions. The issue of fugitive dust near Booker School was investigated and progress is being monitored by our group. We support the organizations who resist the encroachment of industry surrounding the Celery Fields.
Our goal is to prevent climate change and decimation of species due to human interference. Our meetings feature experts in their fields, who educate our attendees by presenting REAL SCIENCE!!
Local, regional and national candidates who promote environmental issues are endorsed and supported by us. Our members and friends are encouraged to assist these campaigns.
Stay tuned for our Environmental Report Card for elected officials. See what our elected officials are doing.